Mold Exposure in Kids’ Room – The Consequences

Aside from simply looking gross and unsightly, the presence of mold in a home, and particularly in your children’s bedroom and playroom can have serious health repercussions. When defining mold, WebMD describes it as a type of fungus that consists of small organisms found almost everywhere. They can be black, white, orange, green, or purple. The good news is, small amounts are relatively harmless, but the bad news is, mold never stops at ‘small’. As soon as the environment becomes mold-friendly, meaning when mold finds a nice and damp spot in your home, it starts to grow and spread. An even worse piece of news is that no piece of furniture is safe – it can develop on everything from walls and appliances to mattresses and other pieces of furniture. As today’s topic is preservation of yours and your children’s health, let’s explore the consequences of mold exposure and how it can be stopped in its tracks.

A lot of issues

If you notice such symptoms as sneezing, wheezing, rashes, watery and itchy, red eyes as well as coughing, your child may very well be experiencing an allergic reaction to mold. In worse cases, exposure to this allergen can cause asthma, which is not a condition that is to be taken lightly. About 30 investigations around the world have come to a conclusion that there is a strong link between living in damp homes or homes with mold growth, and the extent of adverse respiratory symptoms in children. Long-term exposure to mold has also shown to affect the central nervous system, causing headaches and chronic fatigue. One of the worst health issues that can come as a result of mold exposure are hypersensitivity pneumonitis and in rare, but existing cases pulmonary hemorrhage and memory loss. So, what can you do to make your home safe and to keep the mold from getting to your little ones?

Keep the moisture at bay

The best preventative step you can take is ensuring your home is safe and damp-free. Make sure your plumbing is in order, and that there are no leaks. If leaks occur, make sure you tend to them immediately to avoid creating a mold-friendly environment. Make sure all surfaces in the room have been thoroughly cleaned, so follow all the steps and learn how to go about this. There are amazing air purifiers to choose from but always look for the ones that have HEPA filters such as air purifier for mold by Oransi. Try to keep humidity levels no higher than 50%. When storing away your children’s clothes, make sure they are completely dry and ironed. Learn how to test mattresses for presence of mold and if the result is positive, get rid of the mattress in question immediately. If you notice mold developing on the walls, depending on the extent of the ‘damage,’ make sure to call a professional service that will deal with it, as you won’t be able to get rid of the problem on your own.

Once the symptoms occur

If you notice your child has already showing signs of mold-exposure, the first line of defense should be natural remedies. First turn to the herbs that serve to protect and strengthen the immune system. The perfect herb for the job is Echinacea but you can also call upon garlic, oil of oregano and cordyceps. Natural garlic or garlic pills are both efficient, and when dealing with toxic mold, 600 mg tablets will suffice. In order to flush out the mold from the child’s body, activated charcoal is a great remedy as it traps the toxins and doesn’t allow the body to reabsorb them. For your children, charcoal made from coconut shells is the safest way to go. Be mindful of your kid’s sugar intake as this type of fungi strives on sugar. Cut it from their diet completely until you’ve gotten rid of the symptoms, especially when dealing with black mold. Of course, if natural remedies don’t prove effective, always turn to your physician who will most likely prescribe so-called first-generation antihistamines.

Keep your home and your children safe, take every precaution and act quickly because those spots are not to be taken lightly. The future of your kids’ health is at stake.

Meet The Author

Brigitte Evans is a Cosmetic Skin Care Consultant and a writer from Australia, with a sweet tooth for makeup and everything sparkly. She is the proud aunt of Sophie, age 3, who has rounded her Chanel lipstick, but she loves her anyway.
Please do check out her social media on  Facebook and Twitter
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s